Make A Natural Sunscreen With the Addition of Coconut Oil
If you believe that the only sunscreen that is effective against sunburn are the conventional brands that fill the shelves of the supermarket and beauty stores, think again! These conventional branded sunscreens contain ingredients that are difficult to pronounce, yet we still smother our skin in them. Some sunscreens can increase the risk of free radical damage and even skin cancer. If you plan to do your own research on skin cancer and sunscreen, ensure that you look into the independent research, which will not be bias toward the benefits or disadvantages of conventional sunscreen.
Vitamin D is known as the ‘sunshine vitamin’, yet many of us are deficient in this vitamin. Sunscreens are contained in everything, including moisturiser, lip balm, and make up. If the skin is being blocked from natural sunlight, the body will experience a deficiency of this essential vitamin. A little sunlight is beneficial for the immune system. Effective ways to prevent sunburn is to wear a hat, and cover up the skin in a long sleeved cotton shirt or trousers.
Unbelievably, some food types that we have in our kitchen cupboard contain a natural sunscreen. Coconut oil has a natural sun protection factor of four.
- A quarter cup of organic coconut oil
- Half a cup of olive oil
- A quarter cup of beeswax
- Two tablespoons of zinc oxide
- Essential oils (optional)
- Combine the coconut oil, olive oil, beeswax, and any essential oils and add to a glass jar.
- Add the glass jar to a medium sized saucepan and simmer at a medium heat
- Pretty soon the ingredients in the jar will melt.
- Once the beeswax has melted, add the zinc oxide (natural SPF of 20) and stir well.
- Keep the sunscreen in a fridge and aim to use within six months.
Unfortunately, this sunscreen is not waterproof, so it must be reapplied after swimming or an outside workout. Zinc oxide is a potent sunscreen, but it is important that it is not inhaled. Apply the ingredients to a jar, rather than a pump bottle, for easy access.