Coconut oil is medium chain fatty acid, which provides the body with energy that it can make instant use of. There is less of a chance that this fatty acid will cause weight gain. Short chain and medium chain fatty acids are ‘natural’ fats. Long chain fatty acids require digestion and time to break down, although many monounsaturated fats are long chain fatty acids. Olive oil is one such fatty acid and very heart healthy.
Not everyone wants to eat cereal or toast for breakfast when a yoghurt smoothie provides adequate calories. Enrich the smoothie with coconut oil and you are providing the immune system with a lymphatic boost. It may seem that coconut milk may be a better option for a smoothie, but it works just as well with coconut oil. This works best when you add the coconut oil after all other ingredients are blended. Here’s what you will need for the yoghurt smoothie, which is enough for two people.
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup of frozen vanilla yoghurt
- 2 cups of frozen fruit (your choice)
- 1 cup of frozen fruit juice (your choice)
Apart from the coconut oil, use frozen ingredients for all items.
- Blend the yoghurt, fruit, and fruit juice in a blender for approximately 30-seconds until smooth.
- Add the coconut oil to the blender and blend for a further minute.
Don’t be afraid of experimenting with fruits and juices. Perhaps you could experiment one day with coconut milk and the other with coconut oil. Use half of the above ingredients if you plan on making a single serving.